Lightweight Backpacking Philosophy
The "Lightweight Backpacking Philosophy"
most commonly mentioned emphasizes a never-ending commitment to
- scrutinize packing habits in order to fine-tune minimum packing needs and
- aggressively seek out the smallest, lightest-weight, highest-quality gear available to satisfy those needs.
The Lightweight Backpacking Philosophy we embrace at Lightweight Backpacking 101
expands on that, and emphasizes the following:
- Scrutinize gear, clothing, and food selection to fine-tune minimum packing needs.
- Aggressively seek out smaller volume, lighter-weight, high-quality/high-performance gear and clothing.
- Seek clothing and gear that can serve multiple purposes (multiple gear use).
- Educate yourself on backcountry travel and safety, being well prepared for changing weather, wildlife encounters and whatever else may happen.
- Use lightweight techniques to keep travel through the backcountry low-impact on both yourself and your environment.
- Use products that provide the level of comfort you desire, even if they aren't the absolute lightest available.
At Lightweight Backpacking 101 you will find information about lightweight backpacking, weight-reducing tips
that can be used for multiple purposes, general packing information, gear checklists, backcountry ethics, and much, much more.